chevy forums   chevy forums

Go Back   Chevy Forums > Chevy Forums - Cars > Chevy Malibu Forum

Notices

Chevy Malibu Forum Discussions regarding the Chevrolet Malibu

Chevy Forum: SOLVED! RADIO STATIC ~ 2010 Malibu

Old 04-08-2017, 07:38 PM

Lightbulb SOLVED! RADIO STATIC ~ 2010 Malibu

I thought the car wash trashed my antenna?! I suddenly had fairly serious radio "Static" and noise, (especially at NIGHT) and mostly on weaker AM stations? Also the noise could be heard on distant FM stations anytime.

I thought about digging under the dash and/or the nightmare of pulling the radio from the dash to inspect the connections... NO fun either way. I also thought maybe a diode blew in the alternator, but engine RPM's had no effect on the pitch of the noise and neither did the headlights.

A few days later I was about to leave on a one week vacation (without my car) so I decided to unplug the CHARGER to my new "MAGELLAN" Navigator and suddenly the radio noise was gone!

I reconnected the charger and sure enough, there it was again!... The Magellan CHARGER was the offender. I then discovered if I used the backseat 12V lighter jack both the radio and MAGELLAN worked fine.

A final note, the charger generates noise even with the MAGELLAN fully charged.

Oh' the humanity...

SOGLAD

Old 04-09-2017, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Default Re: SOLVED! RADIO STATIC ~ 2010 Malibu

thanks for the post, wonder if the manufacturer is aware of the radio interference. Some of these chargers have a small plastic cylinder in the wire that acts as a radio interference suppressor.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...FZCFswodPzwNEA

Tags
noise, radio, solved, static