chevy forums   chevy forums

Go Back   Chevy Forums > Chevy Forums - Cars > Chevy Volt Forum

Chevy Volt Forum Discussions regarding the Chevrolet Volt

Chevy Forum: What is the big deal with the Chevy Volt?

Old 01-10-2011, 02:19 PM

Default What is the big deal with the Chevy Volt?

GM had a perfect electric car called the E-V 1 15 yrs ago and they did not promote it like the Volt. Where would we be if we added 15 yrs technology to the E-V 1. I do not think GM wants to sell electric cars, it's just a gimmick to be different. If you want people to buy electric cars make them affordable and go more than 40 miles on a charge, 15 yrs ago they went 100 miles to a charge. Watch the documentary called "Who killed the electric car? and it will open your eyes. If we had electric cars that worked like they should considering the level of technology there is oil companies would be mad and oil is what drives this country.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:19 PM

the volt isnt even electric sooooo....
Old 01-10-2011, 02:20 PM

That is a wise assessment. GM could do a lot better then go backwards.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:53 AM

Default Re: What is the big deal with the Chevy Volt?

Hi all
I am sharing some of the interesting thing about the new Chevrolet Volt electric car and this car will be launched soon its expected price is Rs35lakhs.

The all new hybrid Chevrolet Volt is four passenger, 4-door hatchback designed electric vehicle and has got much advanced features than other hybrids in India that makes it much ahead, smooth and fast, like in most of the hybrid gasoline engine and motor car used to provide the power to wheels, while here in Chevrolet Volt wheels are operated by electricity produced by on-board battery or gasoline engine. this can be charged in just 8 hours in normal volt condition of 120 and if have installed a 240v outlet it will end up with full charge in a short span time of 3 hours, the all new Chevrolet Volt is expected to come out in the market with 1.4 litr, 4-cylinder engine that means a competent fuel storage capacious being a compact car.

The all new volt carries a great driving safety,it is been promoted with almost all the required safety features that should be in a car, like ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is applied in the car to to prevent the wheels from locking up , traction control system to avoid slippery condition, anti-skid system that helps wheels to control in skidding condition while applying brakes for long and air bags for both curtain and front side.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:08 AM

drive one and you will see the big deal I drove one 1100 miles and averaged 109mpg
Old 02-03-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhyatt View Post
drive one and you will see the big deal I drove one 1100 miles and averaged 109mpg
totally agree man...to drive is to believe..
Old 06-13-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhyatt View Post
the 2013 model has been improved and gets even greater mpg.
Chevrolet engineers have upgraded the battery, improving both range and efficiency of the vehicle, which may allow the volt to compete in the EV group of vehicles.
The improvements have proven handsome, as the MPGe is now 98 and the all electric range is now 38. There is also an extra half kWh of energy able to be stored in the new battery.

Here's how Chevrolet engineers explained it
“The best way to explain what we’ve done at the cell level is to compare it to a cake batter recipe.* Sometimes if you use more sugar and less vanilla you get a better tasting cake. We’ve done some work at the cell level to modify the ‘ingredients’ to make a better end result,” said Bill Wallace, GM director of Global Battery Systems Engineering. “This attention to detail will allow our customers to experience more pure EV range, which is the true benefit of owning a Volt.”

That's pretty impressive I think.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:51 PM

What I don't like or appreciate about the Volt is that all of the parts are manufactured in China and shipped over here for assembly. Are the American workers not good enough for GM to pay them to build the entire car here?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:41 AM

Another issue is the price point of the Volt.

If demand could get the price down to about $30,000 it might be worth it.

Right now you can buy a 1992 Honda VX that gets 55 mpg for about $4,000.00. The extra $36,000 you would pay for a Volt to get another 50 mpg would buy a lot of gas.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:29 PM

Volt sucks. Period. I had 7 recalls on my 2013 Chevy volt. Also I had a crack in my radiator stem two weeks before my lease was up. This happened right after an oil change done by Hawthorne Chevrolet in NJ. The warranty was for only two years and I had to pay 700$ for them to fix it. They blow period. Price sucks too. Better off with a Nissan Leaf or if you have the money a Tesla obvi.