chevy forums   chevy forums

Go Back   Chevy Forums > Chevy Forums - Trucks, SUVs and Crossovers > Chevy Suburban Forum

Chevy Suburban Forum Discussions regarding the Chevrolet Suburban

Chevy Forum: '95 Suburban ABS light

Old 06-12-2019, 04:59 PM

Default '95 Suburban ABS light

What did I do wrong? The morning after a big rainstorm I took my '95 burb to
the store and starting having weird issues with my brakes below 20mph. Even
though I wasn't getting a light on the dash I thought maybe a sensor or connector might have moisture in it interfering with the ABS system so I pulled the fuse and the brakes actually worked better but they still were not quite right. When I pulled the fuse the dash light illuminated. Turned out the inner passenger side brake pad broke and destroyed my rotor. I installed new rotors,
bearing hubs and loaded calipers. Tried to reset the ABS light with my scanner
and it was a no go even though I wasn't showing any codes-OBD-1 system. I went to plan B and did the jumper wire trick and the ABS light flashed a code 65 which is a bad control unit. Any ideas on how to reset the light? Thanks in advance for any help. Oh, BTW the 'burb
is a K2500.

Last edited by 454ss; 06-12-2019 at 05:37 PM. Reason: forgot model designation

Old 06-13-2019, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Default Re: '95 Suburban ABS light

Based on your scanner not being able to read the code, other than using a scanner capable of a reset you could try disconnecting the battery. Just be forewarned that occasionally that can trigger other issues.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the reply. I had to do that several years ago for a different issue and forgot all about it. Thanks for reminding me. It's about 105 outside right now so I think I'll wait until sunset. I'll let you know what happens. Tim
Old 06-14-2019, 08:36 AM
Administrator

wasn't California cooler?
Old 06-14-2019, 02:09 PM

Yes, it was cooler but I couldn't take the altitude any longer. Have a service
connected lung condition and it's no fun running a snowblower with a portable
O2 unit hanging around your neck. Did the battery disconnect with no luck although the light stayed off for about 2 miles this time instead of 500 ft. after I
pull out of my driveway. I'm going to try it again except this time I'll let it sit all
night disconnected instead of 15 minutes. If there are any capacitors in that ECM I want to make sure they are completely discharged so the ECM can reset
itself if that's what needs to happen. Tim
Old 06-14-2019, 07:52 PM
Administrator

if you disconnect both cables and touch them together that will discharge any capacitors or try overnight.
Have you looked at the code 65 and the possible causes other than the control unit?