chevy forums   chevy forums
Go Back   Chevy Forums > Chevy Forums - Cars > Chevy Cavalier Forum

Chevy Cavalier Forum Discussions regarding the Chevrolet Cavalier

Chevy Forum: 2000 Chevy Cavalier Problem!!?

Old 11-12-2008, 02:19 PM

Default 2000 Chevy Cavalier Problem!!?

I have a 2000 Chevy Cavalier and I am having a problem with it.

Here's all that has happened:

Last year I went to college and I took my car with me. One time I drove it and I realized that it was overheating, so I stopped driving it until I could have my dad take a look at it. He came and put coolant fluid in it, because it was very low. I thought this was strange because I had just bough the car a few months before that and I figured it should have had coolant in it. After this I kept driving it and it was fine.

Then over summer, I took it to get it's oil changed at Walmart. I have had many people tell me that I shouldn't have taken it there, but it is quick and I have a busy schedule so it was the easiest thing for me to do. Right when I pulled up they were not too enthusiastic about doing my car because they were doing nothing at the time, and shortly after I got paged telling me my car was done. The mechanics told me my oil was milky and smelled like gas so they were unable to change it.

After this, I had a couple people check out my car and oil (not a car person or dealer) and they said my oil was fine and didn't smell. So, then I took it to an actual place that does oil changes(Penziol) and they changed it fine, and said nothing about the oil being milky or smelly. From then on I have been keeping eye on if my car overheats and the fluids and so far, it has been driving fine.

Just a little bit ago, I went to start my car and it wouldn't start. So, I kept trying, and I saw the low coolant light on, and it started, but it was shaking really badly. I am not good with cars, so I have no clue what could be wrong with it.
Any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
nope, it doesn't smoke at all
thanks everyone
Old 11-12-2008, 02:25 PM

most likely a blown head gasket,chances are the thermostat stuck at some point,causing the first overheating,and causing the gasket to blow into a water passage in the head,you were probably losing antifreeze out of the over flow,the best way to tell is take it to a reputable mechanic and have him do a compression check,this measures the pressure in the cylinder and if it is low ,most likely thats what it is.another way to tell on that model might be to have someone check your head bolts that are accesible without taking anything apart.i did one of these and broke the headbolts loose with a 3/8 ratchet with very little effort,and sure enough the gasket was blown.in any case if your dad can do it the gasket alone is about 15.00 .the bolt set is about 26.00.if you have to take it somewhere its probably about 300.