chevy forums   chevy forums
Go Back   Chevy Forums > Chevy Forums - Cars > Chevy Cavalier Forum

Chevy Cavalier Forum Discussions regarding the Chevrolet Cavalier

Chevy Forum: 98 chevy cavalier overheating and running towards the hot ?

Old 02-04-2009, 10:32 AM

Default 98 chevy cavalier overheating and running towards the hot ?

I have a 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier. When I first got it their was no heat and it was running towards the end of the heating line. Replaced the thermostat(checked the old one afterwards found out it really was junk) and flushed out the hoses, this got the heat working. We flushed the radiator and filled it with coolant. It has an electric fan, the fan is indeed working. Today the car started to go past the white line and towards the red so I pulled it over. When it gets to that temp, everything gets hot EXCEPT the radiator. My heater is working good now, so we dont believe it is the heater core, but are wondering if anyone has any suggestions of what could be going on with it. We didnt see any leaks at the water pump or pulley, but heard that its possible that the bearings could have just worn out and need replacing. My father has been saying that the hoses felt soft and as if no water had been flowing thru.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:32 AM

So you saying it is getting HOT and the radiator is still cold. Who put in the thermostat? You know there is a certain direction to install the thermostat. It is actually stamped right on the thermostat itself telling which side should be facing the radiator. It seems like no coolant is circulating to the radiator now. Also you do not have to worry about the car heating up, but only need to worry if it gets into the red.
You pu in a new thermostat so it will run hotter than before because the old one was junk. So if it is just running warmer that is ok, but if it overheats (RED) you have a problem.