chevy forums   chevy forums
Go Back   Chevy Forums > Chevy Forums - Cars > Chevy Cavalier Forum

Chevy Cavalier Forum Discussions regarding the Chevrolet Cavalier

Chevy Forum: 2004 Chevy Cavalier Cooling fan problem...

Old 05-22-2011, 10:14 PM

Default 2004 Chevy Cavalier Cooling fan problem...

Ok, bought the car the friday, they said it had a water leak and it was making it over heat, after driving it this weekend, I decided that the car had an overheating problem, and was making the o ring leak where the cooling pipe went into the water pump, I thought maybe the thermostat was sticking because it generally didnt overheat but the temperature guage moved up and down alot.... changed the thermostat and it didnt fix the problem.. then i realized the electric fan had never kicked on. It also doesnt come on when the a/c is running. I checked the relay and it was good, all fuses are good. I checked the wires going to fan with multimeter and they werent hot at any time. So I thought for sure the fan was good, although when i jumped it straight to the battery it still wouldnt run... I changed the fan and it still wouldnt work, although now jumped to the battery it will run.. Question is, what is the best way to make the fan work when the car is on and turn off when the car is off.... what other causes could there be other than a fuse or a relay that would make my fan not work...
Old 01-01-2012, 11:19 AM

Default Re: 2004 Chevy Cavalier Cooling fan problem...

My old supervisor at work had the exact same problem, he was going to wire the fan directly to the battery and just put a toggle switch on the dash but found it was his coolant temp sensor, it's only like 10 bucks and real easy to replace