chevy forums   chevy forums
Go Back   Chevy Forums > Chevy Forums - Cars > Chevy Malibu Forum

Chevy Malibu Forum Discussions regarding the Chevrolet Malibu

Chevy Forum: 2001 Chevrolet Malibu Cylinder 3 misfire and flashing check engine light?

Old 12-05-2010, 11:17 PM

Default 2001 Chevrolet Malibu Cylinder 3 misfire and flashing check engine light?

History on Vehicle:
I traded for this car (2001 Chevy Malibu w/ 6 cyl. automatic transmission) about 4 days ago and they said the only problem with the car was the fuel pump and it needed a battery. Car was sitting ini a garage for about 9 months.

What I Have Done So Far:
I went ahead and towed it home and first thing i did was replace the battery and check to see if I could hear the fuel pump buzzing in the tank when turning the key on. I heard it so I eliminated that problem. I check for spark from my coils and checked the plugs. That was all good. I went ahead and changed the plugs and wires and it fired right up and thats when I noticed the exhaust smoke bubbling out of the coolant tank so I immediately turned the car off and diagnosed it as a head gasket. I then took the engine apart and changed the head gaskets. The front one looked alright and the back one was bad and the pistons had water sitting on top of them. I cleaned it all up and replaced the head gaskets along with the intake manifold gaskets and put it all back together and flushed the engine out and also the coolant so all the fluids wouldn't be contaminated anymore. I noticed the check engine light was blinking while driving and when i come to a stop the check engine light stops flashing and just stays on constant. I had it checked at Advance Auto Parts and they said its a Cylinder 3 misfire and an Emissions Code. I assume the Cylinder 3 misfire is causing the Emissions code. So...

Problem:
I have replaced the wires, the plugs, the ignition coils, and it is still missing. WHY???

Symptoms:
Car idles fine and runs good. As soon as I put it into gear you can tell the car starts to misfire. After I changed the coils it started running worse it seems as when i took it on a test drive it acted like it was running out of gas. I am not sure what the issue is here, I need some help please...
As i stated in the elaborate description of my issue... I have changed the head gaskets (Both of them since there are two of them on a 6 cyl. and also all the other gaskets that you come across on the way there and back which include the exhaust manifold gaskets and the intake manifold gaskets (upper and lower) and also the firing order is correct as i marked all the wires and also they have numbers on them to make them idiot proof, and i also double checked it in the book. so... i still need help here since the two answers i have so far only tell me to do something i already have done. I also have checked for vacuum leaks and there are none. (i checked with carb cleaner spraying around all the entire engine. yah! i am still alive).