chevy forums   chevy forums
Go Back   Chevy Forums > Chevy Forums - Cars > Chevy Impala Forum

Chevy Impala Forum Discussions regarding the Chevrolet Impala

Chevy Forum: 2001 Chevrolet Impala Overheating?

Old 12-22-2008, 01:54 PM

Default 2001 Chevrolet Impala Overheating?

Driving up a hill last night, I noticed my car's pickup wasn't strong and lost some power. I looked at the temperature gauge and the car was not hot but the temperature was still above normal. The car has been leaking water and anti-freeze for quite some time from under the car, however, I just kept filling it with water and anti-freeze due to money constraints. Back to last night, I noticed the check engine light was flashing so I pulled onto a side road and just in time too because the car shutoff on me. I opened the hood and the engine was red hot underneath and was steaming. I put water into the radiator after relieving some pressure and got the temperature down enough to make it back to my home. This morning, I started the car and at idle the engine is shaky when running however when I accelerate it goes away and runs normal. I know I have to take care of the leak and I have scheduled an appointment tomorrow. However, I would like to ask do you think I have done any unfortunate damage that is very bad after last night or am I okay to drive after I get the leak fixed? Thank you in advance.
Before the incident last night though, I didn't have the problem. It was after the engine got very hot that this happened.

You never ever put liquid in a hot motor without the motor running.

seems to me like you have a bad fuel pressure regulator..it doesnt work when its at idle but when you step on the gas there is more pressure being pushed out and its working good..also id check your throttle position sensor as that might also be bad another possible thing i could think of is your idle air control valve..clogged fuel filter or injectors might add to it also...so run some seafoam in the tank change out the fuel filter and see how that goes..then i would do the throttle position sensor then do the idle air control then the pressure regulator..hope this helps you..as for the leaking id have to say for you to get a pressure test..they can better see where the leak is coming from but most likely its the manifold due to the dexcool..or a leaking water pump...as long as the car didnt overheat you should be fine