chevy forums   chevy forums

Go Back   Chevy Forums > Chevy Forums - Trucks, SUVs and Crossovers > Chevy Equinox Forum

Chevy Equinox Forum Discussions regarding the Chevrolet Equinox

Chevy Forum: Put green coolant/antifreeze in dexcool system (2005 chevy equinox)?

Old 05-22-2010, 10:20 AM

Default Put green coolant/antifreeze in dexcool system (2005 chevy equinox)?

My equinox started overheating, checked the coolant and it was empty so I went and got some. I must not have been thinking I just grabbed a gallon of peak green af/coolant, put it in there, and has been running fine. I noticed my temperature gauge wouldn't go halfway, right under it so I tried to figure out what was up.

Anyways, later I checked the coolant cap and it said DEXCOOL coolant only. Which is the red stuff.

I'm car retarded, so what does this mean? Did I just ruin my engine? I hope I didn't... because this is a company vehicle. Would probably lose my job if I destroyed the engine.

Thank you

Old 05-22-2010, 10:21 AM

No,the engine is not ruined. Mixing the two antifreeze together will mess up your thermostat,it will hang open and not heat water properly or hang closed and overheat. Have cooling system flushed out,change thermostat,refill with recommended antifreeze.Will take care of your problem. Please make sure you put in new thermostat.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:24 AM

Typically the red (dexcool) and the green are not compatible and they cause corrosion if mixed together. I would suggest getting it to a place where they can flush the cooling system and having it refilled with dexcool. There is a yellow coolant now that is compatible with all other types of coolant. Most Jiffy lubes can flush your cooling system. Done soon it should not cause any damage.