PDA

View Full Version : How do I bypass the anti theft function on a 2000 chevy cavalier.?

Desire C
02-18-2009, 10:12 PM
Ive had a problem with my ignition cylinder . My keys would'nt fit and im to broke to call a locksmith so I banged it out of its housing with screw driver and hammer. I recent purchased a new ignition cylinder, from a junk yard. The car now cranks and if im lucky after 2 seconds the engine dies..I Have come to realize that its the anti theft function because when it happens the anti theft lights come on and blink..Help!!! Also before it the engines started and it would go off. now It just stalls .Does that mean my starter is ruined because I heard the could happen ..?....

Tarheel Ladybug
02-18-2009, 10:13 PM
None of the anti-theft works on mine, or the door opener/locker, or the trunk opener. If I can find my Haynes manual, and no one else helps you, I will hit you back.I have to jiggle my key everytime I get in the car and work around other bugs all the time. I guess that will be the NEXT thing to go on mine.
I honestly don't know the answer to this Q, but when you do get it fixed, I want to give you some excellent advice - GET RID OF IT!
I have a 2004 with a little over 100,000 miles on it. It costs me $650 to get into the transmission to change the fluid - and it needs it done constantly. There is nowhere to add it - if you don't believe me, look for yourself or look in the manual {if you are lucky, 2000 might be different}.
The car eats batteries and alternators and they can't figure out why. It also eats horns at an ALARMING rate and they can't figure that one out either! You can only open the trunk with the button inside the car. It won't stay aligned {not my fault!!} so it eats tires. There are multiple electrical problems and all my warning lights stay on all the time. fORGET about the windows - they won't stay working a month - it isn't worth it to fix them. CD player shot out within a month. It is always something with this car - we have sunk more money into it than is even sane to pay for a 2 or 3 decent used cars.
All this aside, the car is a complete LEMON. Everyone I have talked to says the same thing about theirs. When you get this fixed, I strongly suggest you get rid of it ASAP!
I will go see if I can find the manual if you don't get an answer pretty soon.

jeremy c
02-18-2009, 10:22 PM
go to you`re service manual......go to the index........look for fuses and moduel`s......look for the anti theft moduel........find where it is on ur car most likely on a 2000 chevy cavieleir it is under the hood on the right side when you are facing it....just simply pull the anti theft moduel from you`re car...and it is as easy as that.....later

Trogdor
02-18-2009, 10:54 PM
the starter proply isn't ruined but you will have to take it back to the dealer to have them reset the module to the new lock cylinder. your car just thinks that you are trying to steal it so the computer disengaged your starter.